Who wouldn’t want to study or work in the happiest country in the world? Here are the essential steps to move to Finland.
Turku region with its 320,000 people, former capital and a major urban area in Finland, is located in the southwestern Finland. A leading hub for technological development and economical growth, Turku has a rich cultural history and is the gateway to a most beautiful archipelago.
The University of Turku is a world-class multidisciplinary research university which offers interesting challenges and a unique vantage point to national and international research and education. The University of Turku is ranked in the top 1 % of universities in the world.
Professor or Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / (tenure track) in Food Development with specialization in Nordic Food
This vacancy enhances research and education in food development, especially in nordic food, as well as cooperation with the other key-actors in the field in Finland.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering invites applications for the position of Professor or Assistant Professor / Associate Professor (tenure track) in Food Development with specialization in Nordic Food. Candidates for Full Professorship / Associate professorship will have a distinguished academic career and an established international reputation in their fields, as well as an excellent publications record and success in acquiring external research funding. For the position of Assistant Professor, we seek highly talented and already merited researchers beyond their post doc phase yet still at their early academic career, and who have shown potential, initiative, and innovation in research and teaching. We expect that candidates are active members of academic and societal networks and have contacts with business, trade and industry.
The professor supports Finnish food producers, especially food processing companies, in their own product research and development. The goal of the professorship is to focus on Finnish cultivated food crops and natural resources, to strengthen the domestic food security, to support the increase food export from Finland based on sustainable use of resources, and to improve the well-being of global population through healthy food and healthy diet.
To reach this goal, the professor shall:
- focus on plant-based food as sustainable solution for food security and well-being
- emphasize the key Finnish food crops that have the best quality and the high potential as raw materials for value-added food products.
- carry out Food Development Research based on selected Finnish crops with the aim to 1) improve knowledge on their composition of and nutritional properties 2) understand the impact of cultivar, growth environment and processing technologies on composition, sensory properties, and health effects of the products, 3) develop novel concepts of value-added food products and bioactive/functional ingredients for domestic and international markets.
- collaborate with experts in the FCFD and other UTU units, elsewhere in Finland and abroad in the field of primary production and processing of selected food crops. It is important to strengthen the collaboration with Luke, VTT, University of Helsinki, and other universities and leading research units in Finland.
- cooperate closely with food enterprises in Finland in order to orientate and target the research to best serve the R&D activities in the companies.
- work together with international partners in order to ensure a global relevance of the research
- establish research projects and apply for external funding from sources in Finland and EU for realization of the research targets
- participate in the planning and realization of teaching at the Food Chemistry and Food Development Programmes at the University of Turku , with special attention paid to the need of expertise in food industry
A qualified candidate for the professor position shall hold a doctoral degree in food / agricultural sciences. The candidate shall have relevant strength in performing research in food science, preferably on Finnish / Nordic food resources, and experience in guiding research in large research projects. Experience in food industry is a special merit for an applicant for the position. Successful records of publication, industrial collaboration and acquiring external funding are strength of the application.
The duties of the professor include conducting and supervising scientific research, teaching – including supervising Master and PhD students, staying up-to-date with the most current scientific developments in the field, and participating in societal interaction and international cooperation in the field. The professor is expected to co-operate with other research groups, to form and lead his or her own research group and to obtain external research funding at both domestic and international level.
The post is located in the Food Chemistry and Food Development Unit (FCFD) in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Turku (UTU). The FCFD has focused on the research on composition and health effects of northern food crops, especially wild and cultivated Finnish food resources. The FCFD Unit has a team of close to 40 researchers, of which 7 hold teaching positions. In addition to research, the FCFD Unit is responsible for the education in Food Chemistry Programme (MSc, PhD) and the Food Development Programme (MSc-Tech, DSc-Tech) at the University of Turku.
The University of Turku provides the professor with the modern facilities for research at the Food Chemistry and Food Development Unit, which include state-of-art analytical instruments of gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, tandem mass spectrometry (QTOF and Triple Quadruple) as well as a modern sensory and food development laboratory. In addition, access is available to the facilities the high resolution NMR in the joint instrument center between the University of Turku and the Åbo Akademi University.
The position is subject to a six-month trial period.
The salary for this particular post is determined in accordance with the university salary system for teaching and research personnel (YPJ). The salary shall be determined when drawing up the employment contract.
Information about the tenure track system of the University of Turku, the qualification requirements of the position in the University of Turku rules of procedure, and recruitment process of a professor / assistant and associate professor at the University of Turku.
Applications must be submitted on Monday 31st of December 2018 at the latest via the electronic application form of the University of Turku; link to the application system at the beginning of this announcement (Apply for the job).
For the position, please contact Professor Baoru Yang.
Any practical issues may be discussed with Faculty Services Manager Merja Fehlig, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Turku, Turku, Finland.Continue reading