Deadline: July 15 th, 2020
The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI), active in the fields of natural and built environment, economics, technological innovation, applied art, social work and healthcare, learning and education at the Department of Innovative Technologies (DTI) in Manno, in particular the Institute for Systems and Applied Electronics (ISEA) has opened one position for a Professor in programmable and integrated microelectronic systems. The position is offered full-time (100%) with a permanent employment contract. Employment start date on 01.01.2021 or on a date to be agreed.
The Systems and Applied Electronics Institute (ISEA) deals with aspects related to electronics and technical information technology applied to product development. The distinctive skills of the Institute include the development of integrated circuits and sensors and embedded systems, the applications of high frequencies to telecommunications and sensors, and mechatronics and microtechnology with particular focus on miniaturized and precision systems, applied photonics and optoelectronics and analog electronics, power and applied to energy.
The Institute is active in the degree courses offered by the Department of Innovative Technologies and in applied research projects carried out in collaboration with companies. Particular attention is paid to the transfer of the knowledge acquired towards the Ticino and national industrial sector.
The open position supports the scientific development priority oriented towards miniaturized electronic systems (FPGA, mixed signals ASIC, SoPC) and with a special focus on the development of integrated high performance solutions (micro integration) and low consumption that can be used in new categories of high added value products, as well as the synergistic conduct of applied research and educational activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- He/she is active in teaching by providing a significant contribution in the field of bachelor training and in the MSE master with a strong role in monitoring the updating of the educational offer,
- he/she is active in the relevant networks of competence within the related national and international scientific and academic community,
- he/she promotes maximum synergies between the fields of applied research and teaching.
- He/she is the leader of the relevant scientific area: "Digital electronics, microelectronics and bioelectronics", which is dedicated to countless fields of application such as the biomedical, medtech and sport-tech sectors, environmental and geological monitoring and systems for engineering civil, tomographic imaging systems, control systems for industrial automation and the automotive and aerospace fields.
- In this context, he/she is project leader and/or coordinator of projects, which he/she also acquires for strategic purposes and coordinates on an Institutional, departmental and interdepartmental scale.
- He/she regularly maintains contacts with the industry of reference, keeping up to date on the needs related to its technological development.
- The successful applicant is able to foster the scientific growth of her/his research team, taking care of the development of their skills and the quality of their work, both in research and in teaching activities.
- He/she promotes the collaboration among lecturers and researchers in his/her area of competence.
- He/she manages and co-ordinates the financial and administrative management of his/her research projects.
- Within his/her sphere of activity, he/she takes care of and promotes collaborations and internal/external relations with stakeholders in the cantonal, national and international territory.
- Qualification required: Master and PhD in Microelectronics or similar scientific disciplines.
- At least 10 years of experience are required as a researcher and lecturer active in the technical-scientific area covered by the call; experiences carried out in industrial research are considered equivalent if carried out in the addressed field:
- as a researcher active in the technical-scientific area covered by the call, proven technical and scientific responsibilities are required for research and development projects (industrial, EU, CTI / Innosuisse, FNS, etc.), with relevant scientific results - whereas: primarily the creation of innovative prototypes and/or artifacts, including innovative electronic solutions; the development of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals or international patents are considered the preferred title.
- as lecturer it is required to have hold university courses with direct responsibility of the program and teaching materials and positive student assessments.
- Proven ability to acquire research projects financed by third parties (industrial, Innosuisse, EU, etc.), as well as managing research projects from a financial and technical-scientific point of view, including management of the work team and relations with the customers.
- Proven ability to lead a scientific area in the proposed field, through the responsibility of a research team also from an organizational and management point of view, and for training, as a reference teacher for the area itself.
- Proven ability to create bridges and synergies between his/her research and training activities.
- Proven presence and recognition in territorial, national and international networks as a reference person for the mentioned scientific area.
- Language portfolio: excellent knowledge of Italian, German and English, knowledge of other national languages is a preferential title.
- Experience as thesis tutor (Bachelor, Master, Doctorate) or advisor for university students.
- Production of teaching support materials such as handouts (in various forms), books, publications.
- Having covered / held roles of responsibility in teaching as module manager.
- Having covered / held roles of responsibility in research such as head of scientific area, service, etc.
- Teaching qualification through SUP teaching qualification in progress or at the achievement stage.
- A prestigious position in an internationally recognized University of Applied Sciences.
- Stimulating teaching and applied research activities, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, in a highly innovative and dynamic university environment.
- A team of motivated colleagues with a great deal of experience and competence.
- Possibility to grow within the institution by covering roles of increasing responsibility.
The requirements for this position are published within the "Direttive interne SUPSI" and within "Regolamento del personale SUPSI" on this website: https://www.supsi.ch/home/supsi/documenti-ufficiali.html
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Emanuele Carpanzano
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter in Italian or English.
- Curriculum vitae with publications list in Italian or English.
- List of scientific publications and exemplary works and links or copies of the aforementioned works.
- Educational diplomas and work certificates.
- Awards and mentions.
- Two reference letters that prove the professional, scientific and teaching quality.
- Presentation of the didactic activities carried out at university level with relative evaluations.
- A criminal record with a 6-month validity must be provided. Taking into account the time necessary for the issuing of this document by the competent office, it will be sufficient to enclose with the application a copy of the request accompanied by a self-declaration and send the original document (to email@example.com) as soon as possible, or, at the latest, during the first selection interview. For Swiss citizens and Swiss residents, the court records can be requested at the Federal Office of Justice in Bern, www.casellario.admin.ch.
Applications will be considered only if submitted electronically by July 15 th, 2020 using the appropriate form: http://www.form-ru.app.supsi.ch/view.php?id=462490
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.