Deadline: July 15 th, 2020
The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI), active in the fields of natural and built environment, economics, technological innovation, applied art, social work and healthcare, learning and education at the Department of Innovative Technologies (DTI) in Manno, in particular the Institute for Information Systems and Networking (ISIN), has opened one position for a Professor in Human-Machine Interaction Technologies. The position is offered full-time (100%) with a permanent employment contract. Employment start date on 01.01.2021 or on a date to be agreed.
The Institute for Information Systems and Networking (ISIN) is active in a wide range of areas of Computer Science and Engineering. One of our focus points is the application of Human-Machine Interaction technologies to find novel, more efficient, and more effective ways for humans and machines to interact. The successful candidate for this Professorship will be expected to take on a leading role in the development of ISIN’s research and education agenda in Human-Machine Interaction technologies, with a specific emphasis on the following topics.
- Design of user interfaces based on innovative technologies such as vocal interaction.
- Technology for language interpretation, such as semantic analysis, text analytics, natural language processing/understanding (with a special focus on the recent developments in these areas as well as on their applications).
- Communication technologies: wireless communication technologies and protocols, emerging communication technologies, innovative approaches to Human-Machine Interaction based on scalable Internet of Things solutions.
- Support technologies for the enhancement of the user experience, including all innovative techniques based on the aforementioned elements.
- The successful applicant has extensive experience lecturing at the university level and has a history of positive student evaluations. At SUPSI, the successful applicant will be expected to lecture at the bachelor and master level (in Italian and in English, respectively) and contribute to enhancing the overall quality of our course offerings.
- The successful applicant will be expected to take an active role in shaping our future course offerings.
- The applicant is a successful researcher in the area of interest, as confirmed by a solid publication record as well as a proven ability to attract external funds. As such, the successful applicant will be expected to acquire external funding at the national and international level, manage/coordinate research projects, and produce peer-reviewed publications documenting her/his research to be presented at national/international events.
- While ISIN’s primary focus is on applied research, the successful applicant will also be expected to engage in fundamental research projects to broaden the knowledge base of the institute and maximize its impact going forward.
- The successful applicant has a strong record of academic and professional service (service on Technical Program Committees for scientific and technical events, peer review and editorial activities, contacts with industry, serving on Master/Ph.D. exam commissions, etc.). She or he will be expected to continue to engage in academic and professional service to promote the visibility of SUPSI at the national and international level.
- In the research area of the call, she/he takes care of and promotes collaborations at national and international level.
- In the research area of the call, her/his activity is acknowledged through participation in international conference program committees.
- Ph.D. in a related area (e.g.: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering).
- At least ten years of research experience in related areas, including communication technologies and Natural Language Processing.
- Strong publication history and h-index.
- Proven ability to attract external funds.
- Strong teaching track record with positive student feedback.
- Experience with thesis supervision at the bachelor/master level.
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English and Italian.
- Experience at the UAS level.
- Experience with funding acquisition in Switzerland, especially with Innosuisse projects.
- Experience with funding acquisition in Europe, especially within Horizon 2020.
- UAS teaching qualification.
- Service on Master and/or Ph.D. exam commissions.
- Substantial academic service track record, especially with regard to ACM and IEEE events.
- Proficiency in either French or German.
- A prestigious position in an internationally recognized University of Applied Sciences.
- Stimulating teaching and applied research activities, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, in a highly innovative and dynamic university environment.
- A team of motivated colleagues with a great deal of experience and competence.
- Possibility to grow within the institution by covering roles of increasing responsibility.
The requirements for this position are published within the "Direttive interne SUPSI" and within "Regolamento del personale SUPSI" on this website: https://www.supsi.ch/home/supsi/documenti-ufficiali.html
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Emanuele Carpanzano
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter in Italian or English.
- Curriculum vitae with publications list in Italian or English.
- List of scientific publications and exemplary works and links or copies of the aforementioned works.
- Educational diplomas and work certificates.
- Awards and mentions.
- Two reference letters that prove the professional, scientific and teaching quality.
- Presentation of the didactic activities carried out at university level with relative evaluations.
- A criminal record with a 6-month validity must be provided. Taking into account the time necessary for the issuing of this document by the competent office, it will be sufficient to enclose with the application a copy of the request accompanied by a self-declaration and send the original document (to firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, or, at the latest, during the first selection interview. For Swiss citizens and Swiss residents, the court records can be requested at the Federal Office of Justice in Bern, www.casellario.admin.ch.
Applications will be considered only if submitted electronically by July 15 th, 2020 using the appropriate form: http://www.form-ru.app.supsi.ch/view.php?id=461803
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.