KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
You will be working as a part of the SSF Time-Critical Clouds (TCC) project (https://www.kth.se/blogs/tcc/). Your main role will be to continue the development of our research prototypes so that they can be packaged and released as open source. Examples include our work on Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) called Metron and on load balancing among geo-distributed data centers called Kurma. You will also work with the postdocs and doctoral students already working on this project.
This is a temporary one year position.
Required for this position:
- Two to three years of professional experience
- MB.Sc., M.Sc., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Strong background in networking, distributed systems, programming, and operating systems
- Extensive experience in C, C++, Java, and Python. Hands-on experience in performance optimizations (specifically C, C++, and Java)
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux and experience developing Linux kernel modules. Knowledge of the Linux network stack is a plus (e.g., skbuff, netfilter, etc.)
- Experience with keeping code base in an excellent shape: unit testing, automation, regression tests, code maintenance, and code review
- Understanding of the performance engineering, code optimizations, and system profiling
For this position you need a strong motivation, with a desire to experiment and explore.
This position also requires a desire and ability to dive into fine-grained details of software bottlenecks and how they affect application performance, i.e., hard disks, packet flows, and hardware & software interactions.
Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement. Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills as well.
Skills considered as a plus include:
- Hardware design and programming,
- Experience with programmable hardware (e.g., Openflow, P4, FPGAs),
- Experience in network measurements,
- Load balancing,
- Distributed databases,
- Constraint programming and optimizations,
- Data visualization,
- TCP and congestion control protocols,
- Experience with cloud platforms e.g., Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main person responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad. Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH´s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months