→ Apply before 21/05/2021 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
→ Department: GE30 - Bewegings- en Sportwetenschappen
→ Occupancy rate: 100%
→ Number of positions: 1.00
→ Type of employment: Contract of unlimited duration with clause
→ Term of assignment: 3 jaar
→ Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree)
→ Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
- You assign at least 70% of your time on scientific research, complemented with academic teaching and service
- You perform research in a dynamic research team on muscle physiology in general and the role of histamine in the acute and chronic adaptation to exercise in particular. You envisage ground-breaking discoveries in muscle fiber types and the metabolic and hemodynamic functioning of skeletal muscle. Your salary will be funded by a granted research project of the Fund for Scientific Research (FWO-Flanders) under supervision of Prof. Wim Derave & Prof. Patrick Calders of Ghent University and Prof. Ylva Hellsten from Copenhagen University on ‘adverse exercise-drug interactions: the case of histamine blockade’ (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more detailed project description)
- You will contribute to attracting research grants and advise master and PhD-students in scientific research on skeletal muscle physiology.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You obtained a research PhD, not longer than 6 years ago, in biomedical sciences, movement and sports sciences or related discipline on a research topic related to the above-described topic
- You have experience with physiological and molecular biology techniques (e.g. Western Blot, single fiber analysis, PCR, immunohistochemistry, bioinformatics,…). You have a strong interest in fundamental research and you can demonstrate strong research experience, preferably in the field of muscle metabolism or vascular function.
- Experience and a certificate in Laboratory Animal Science (such as Felasa in Belgium) is preferred
- You are open to international collaboration and mobility.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of indefinite duration with a maximum term of 3 years
- Your contract will start on 1/03/2021 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1. Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers.. Click here for a complete overview of all the staffbenefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: one or more reference letters & an overview of your study results
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Wim Derave (email@example.com, +32(0)9/264 63 26). Important: you are welcome to send your application by email, but official application is online.
Do you have a question? Please read our FAQ regarding the online application process.