The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) operates one of the most powerful computer systems for scientific and technical applications in Europe and makes it available for research purposes to scientists at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany and throughout Europe. In relation to this undertaking, JSC also performs different research and development tasks. The Departement "Civil Security and Traffic" at the JSC is focused on numerical simulations and experimental studies of pedestrian and fire dynamics.
We are looking to recruit a for 01.10.2017
Research Scientist in the topic of experimental fire dynamics
The dynamics of smoke and fire are complex phenomena, which combine processes like turbulent flows, combustion, pyrolysis, as well as heat and mass transfer. The design and conduction of reproducible and well diagnosed laboratory experiments is challenging, but essential for fundamental understanding and model validation.
- Continuing the current research on turbulent plumes and heat Transfer in small scale experiments
- Using methods like particle image velocimetry (PIV), laser Doppler velocimetry (LDV), and thermal imaging within these experiments to capture the dynamical processes
- Extending the experimental activities to the analysis of flame spread and / or the smoke dynamics in complex buildings in the near future
- Supervising students and contributing teach activities
- Applying for national (e.g. DFG, BMBF) and international (EU) third Party funding
- Master degree or preferably a PhD in a topic related to safety or mechanical engineering or physics with the main focus on experimental research
- Experience with non-invasive methods like PIV and LDV
- Motivated person with experience in the design, construction and conduction of fluid dynamics experiments
- Theoretical background in the involved processes and knowledge in developing complex analysis methods
- Communication skills in spoken and written English
- Experience in scientific writing and willingness to work in an international, interdisciplinary and distributed team
- Excellent infrastructure of one of the largest research centers in Europe
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service
- International, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- A comprehensive further training programme, including English language courses
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and family life
- Limited until 30.09.2019 with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.
Contact Human Resource Development
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700